What to Know When Choosing a Sleeve for 12-inch Laptops
When you need to carry your 12-inch laptop around, you may want your device to be properly protected against drops and dings. A sleeve that is designed to fit your laptop may provide adequate protection without unnecessary weight. Because it provides a hard or soft cover for your computer, you may even be able to slip a laptop sleeve into a bag with your work or school supplies.What materials are 12-inch laptop sleeves made of?
Laptop sleeves are generally made from four possible materials. The differences between the materials include:
- Leather: This material does not stretch and can be heavy. However, it is durable and can also be crafted to have some pockets or compartments, eliminating the need for an additional bag. Many sleeves made from leather have additional padding inside that is made from other materials.
- Canvas: Laptop sleeves made from canvas are often eco-friendly. While the material may be heavier than some other options, you can find these sleeves in many different colors and styles. Because the outer layer of this type of laptop bag may not be waterproof, it may have interior padding made from other materials.
- Nylon: Unlike leather and canvas, nylon helps to resist water. It is extremely lightweight and can also come in many colors, patterns, and designs.
- Neoprene: This material protects your laptop from the elements and might be a good choice if you plan to carry your computer without an additional bag. It often has padding and lining made from the same material.
Laptop sleeves generally close in one of three ways. They are:
- Open-ended: These sleeves do not close completely, so you can slip your computer in and out of the case with ease. If you always carry your computer inside of another bag, like a padded laptop backpack, this may be an option for you.
- Flap: Sleeves with flaps generally have extra case material that folds over the opening and is secured with either a hook-and-loop closure or some sort of hardware. These sleeves can protect your computer from scratches and everyday wear.
- Zipper: Plastic or metal zippers can help to keep out the rain, especially if you carry your computer without a bag. Zippered sleeves can have additional compartments or possibly straps for this purpose.
Travelers may sometimes be required to take their laptops out of their sleeves for airport security checks. However, some sleeves are designated as checkpoint-friendly. If youre planning a trip or if you travel frequently, you may want to look for a laptop sleeve that allows you to pass through airport security without having to take your computer out.