Baby Sleeping Bags and Sleep Sacks
A sleeping bag is a wearable blanket that keeps babies warm and swaddled all through the night. Designed as an alternative to a removable blanket, a sleep sack is a comforting choice of bedding. Sleep sacks are made for year-round use and fit newborns to toddlers.How does a sleeping bag help your baby?
- The design of the bag prevents your baby from kicking off their covering at night because they will be wrapped or zipped up in a way that prevents them from doing so, encouraging sleep.
- Babies enjoy the comforting sensation of being swaddled inside the bag. You can use a sleeping bag or sleep sack right from the start.
- Sleeping sacks are available in sizes that fit newborns, usually designed as a swaddle, while sleeping bags for older babies and toddlers feature arm holes. Selecting the right size allows your child to stretch his or her legs inside the bag.
- Baby sleep sacks and sleeping bags open and close at the front, so it's easy to place your child on their back before tucking them in at night. It's also convenient for middle-of-the-night diaper changes.
Just as you might use a different blanket or comforter depending on the season, you should choose a sleeping bag with the appropriate thickness for the time of year and room temperature. This will ensure that your baby stays at an appropriate body temperature through any seasonal or environmental conditions. Grobag, one brand that makes baby sleep bags, uses a system that makes it easy to decide on the right sleep sack or sleeping bag for your baby.
- 0.5 tog - use in hot weather and very warm rooms (75-81 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1.0 tog - use in the summer, for daytime naps, and in warm rooms (69-74 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 2.5 tog - can be used year round and in standard room temperatures (61-68 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 3.5 tog - use in the winter and in cold rooms (54-59 degrees Fahrenheit)
Whether it's a swaddle or a sleeping bag for your baby, you'll find these wearable blankets in a variety of materials like cotton, fleece, and muslin. As with most baby clothing and gear, sleep sacks can be found in solid colors as well as sporting geometric shapes, stripes, animal prints, flowers, and other patterns.