What You Should Know Before Buying a Wrestling Mat
If you want to advance your wrestling moves, you’ll need to choose the right mat. The thickness, core, and surface materials have an enormous impact on comfort, safety, and ease of movements. Learn what key factors to consider when searching eBay for wrestling mats for your residential or commercial space.What qualities should you look for in a wrestling mat?
Most mats feature a vinyl surface to prevent burns and water absorption. Also, it should provide proper padding, shock absorption, and stability. Consider these features when deciding on a suitable wrestling mat:
- Durability: Large mats have fewer seams, offering long-lasting use.
- Shock absorption: The core material inside the mat may include polyvinyl chloride (PVC) nitrile foam, ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) foam, or cross-linked polyethylene (PE) foam. Each of these closed-cell foams helps cushion a fall and minimize injury.
- Portability: Portability is a must if the wrestling area doubles as another space like a school gym/auditorium or home studio/office search for mats that install and remove easily.
- Surface: Wrestling is bound to produce sweat. Most mats have a vinyl surface to prevent burning. Additionally, this water-resistant material keeps moisture from seeping into the mat and retaining mold and mildew. You will find smooth surface and tatami-textured mats, both of which are easy to clean and to sanitize.
When selecting a wrestling mat, you need to consider its purpose and location in addition to the condition, such as new or pre-owned wrestling mats. Generally, there are four types of mats. Those types include:
- Interlocking: Available in a variety of colors, textures, and sizes, these interlocking tiles allow you to customize your wrestling space.
- Roll out: Ideal for residential and commercial gyms, these thick mats are easy to install and store. Plus, they remain in place throughout practice and competitions.
- Folding: These mats are easy to fold and unfold and can be joined with other mats that have hook-and-loop connectors to expand the space.
- Landing: With a thickness between eight and 12 inches, landing mats offer the highest level of shock absorption for practicing moves and takedowns.
Regardless of its name, wrestling mats are suitable for a variety of low-impact activities, including:
- Martial arts
The recommended thickness for competition mats is between one inch and two inches, which is sufficient to cushion the impacts that occur from wrestling. However, for practicing takedown moves, you can find wrestling mats with a thickness of up to 12 inches.
- Competition: one- or two-inch mats
- Beginner’s practice: over two inches
- Practice advanced moves: eight to 12 inches