What to Know About Choosing Costumes for Dogs
Whether you're dressing your pet for Halloween or just for the fun of it, you can find a dog costume that works for your favorite animal friend and the occasion. Some pet costumes are funny, some are cute, and some are downright spooky. You can find a new or pre-owned dog costume to fit any pet's personality with style.
How do you choose a costume for your dog?
There is much to know in making a selection of that perfect costume for your pet. Selecting a costume for your dog can involve a number of factors, each of which is important to ensure your dog's comfort, including:
- Find your dog's size - Instead of estimating the size of your dog, weigh your pet to get an accurate measurement. Most dog costumes are sized based on weight, not height.
- Think about your dog's personality - Choose a dog costume that fits his or her style, or choose the opposite for an ironic, comedic effect.
- Choose a theme - If you're dressing up too, you might want to wear a costume to match your dog's. If you're going out on Halloween with friends, consider a funny group costume, like the characters from "The Wizard of Oz" or "Scooby Doo."
Choose a costume for your pet's comfort
Not only knowing your dog but also being aware of the conditions in which your dog will be wearing a costume will help ensure that the costume will be comfortable for them to wear. A variety of factors should be taken into consideration, including:
- Consider the weather - Don't let your pet get overheated in a heavy Halloween costume, especially if he or she will be running around; on warm or mild days, choose a lightweight pet costume made of a breathable fabric. If the weather is cold and your pet is short haired, consider a warmer pet costume to prevent chills.
- Make sure your dog can move freely - The dog costume's arm, leg, and neck holes should be roomy enough for your pet to walk, run, and jump.
- Practice with your pet - Let your dog get comfortable with the Halloween costume by having them wear it around the house first and then on walks outside.
What are some common themes for dog costumes?
While there are many possible themes for your dog's costume, here are some of the types of inexpensive costumes for dogs that you can find on eBay:
- Traditional Halloween - Your dog can be the scariest spider or ghoul this Halloween with a traditional costume. Witch, angel, and devil are all popular Halloween costumes for dogs as is a zombie dog costume.
- Popular culture - TV and movie characters make for funny group costumes. Choose a dog costume from popular films, like "Star Wars," "Batman," or "Beetlejuice."
- Other animals - Your dog can be a shark, a giraffe, a lion, or another animal with the right dog costume. These animal costumes look cute even when you're not going to a party or event.
Make your Halloween extra spooky this year and shop for decorations, goody bags, and dog costumes to take your party to the next level.