When you plan to bring a furry friend into your life, you are agreeing to provide it with everything it needs to live a comfortable life. Your pet will need certain items to remain safe wherever it goes. Because dogs require a large number of items when you first bring them home, it can be easy to overlook items that you may need.What dog supplies do you need for the home?
There are several types of supplies that you should have on hand when you have a dog, including:
- Crate: Crates create small, secure spaces for your dog. Many pets use them as beds and as places they can go when they get overwhelmed or anxious.
- Food and water bowls: Sturdy plastic or stainless steel bowls allow your pet to stay well-fed and hydrated all day long.
- Collar: Dogs need at least one collar with tags. Collars and a matching leash can be made out of leather, nylon, or fabric. It should have a quick-release fastener for safety.
- Gates: Gates allow you to keep your furry friend confined to just one room or several. This way, you can keep them out of the kitchen or other spaces where they may get into trouble.
- Grooming supplies: Some dogs need to be regularly brushed and groomed to keep their coats looking healthy and shiny. Grooming supplies should include a brush, coat clippers, shampoo, and a nail trimmer. A doggy toothbrush and toothpaste can also help their oral hygiene.
In addition to food, water, and a sturdy collar, there are certain things you will need to pack if you intend to take your dog camping:
- Cable leash: If your pet loves to explore, consider a 20-foot cable leash that gives them some leeway to go sniffing about.
- Bags: Use these bags to pick up after your dog when you go camping or hiking.
- Tarp: This provides extra shelter if it starts to rain.
- Nightlight or glow stick: You can attach this light to dogs collars, making it easier to keep an eye on them at night.
- First-aid kit: You should always carry a first-aid kit when you go camping. Ensure that you take hydrogen peroxide to help induce vomiting if your dog eats something that it should not have.
When training your furry friend, you can help it learn faster with a set of training supplies:
- Treats: Use tasty treats to reward your pet for its good behavior.
- Clicker: This tool is used to mark a desired behavior. Your pet can learn to respond appropriately to the sound.
- Training collars: Some collars have chains that are used to check your canine companions behavior.
- Long leashes: These items can help teach your pet to heel or stay within a certain distance when you go on walks.