Window Hardware

Window hardware refers to functional parts and pieces that allow you to open, close, or lock your windows. Typically, window hardware is replaced because existing hardware is faulty or because you wish to match the finish to another element in your home, like door hardware. As with door hardware, knowing what kind of window hardware your window needs is key to efficient operation and the creation of a unified design.

What are the different types of windows?

Knowing which types of windows your home has will help determine what replacement hardware and parts you’ll need. The most common windows are single-hung, double hung, and casement, each of which requires different hardware.

  • Single-hung: Have one sash panel that slides vertically, with a handle at the bottom.
  • Double-hung: Have upper and lower sash panels that slide vertically.
  • Casement: Have one hinged panel and are operated using a crank handle mechanism. They’re typically taller than they are wide.
What are the different types of sash hardware?

To be functional and secure, single- and double-sash panels need specific sash mechanisms. These parts make raising and lowering the window easier, and keep it closed tightly.

  • Lift: A handle installed at the bottom of the frame that allows you to open and close it easily. Lift parts can be shaped like hooks, recessed inserts, door, or bar handles.
  • Lock: The sash lock is a safety mechanism. Located at the top of the pane, a sash lock secures the frame.
  • Cords and pulleys: Antique and vintage styles operate using a system of cords and pulleys installed in the side frame of the jamb.
  • Stop: Older window styles often have an issue with not staying open. Stops such as tension springs, spring bolts, and old-school bead adjustors eliminate this problem. New models have stops built into the jamb.
What are the different types of casement hardware?

Because they are hinged on one side to swing open, these windows require specific parts. These pieces work to support the weight of the pane, enabling manual opening, closing, and locking.

  • Hinges: Serve as joints allowing you to open and lock a casement window when the crank is turned. Located on the side of the frame, these parts hold the pane steady in the open position.
  • Latch: The hardware used to open or lock a casement window, similar to a sash lock. Latches come in various styles, such as a pivoting handle, vertical lever, or ring handle.
  • Crank operator: The crank or handle that you crank to open the casement window. A crank operator rotates to determine how much air is allowed in. The crank handle is the part that most frequently needs replacing.
  • Stay: An adjustable mechanism that allows you to open or close a casement window to customize air flow. Some parts have pre-drilled positions; others utilize knobs to tighten them into position.
  • Casement bolt: A bolt that runs vertically down the side of a casement window to prevent frames from bowing.