What to Consider When Looking for Home Theater Systems
Dolby RCA 5.1 surround sound home theater systems are good for watching anything from action movies to live sports events. They can also improve the sound quality of your music.
What Equipment Comes In A Home Theater System?
- A home theater audio system usually consists of 5 satellite speakers, 1 subwoofer, and 1 receiver.
- The satellite speakers set consists of 2 front, 2 rear, and 1 front central speaker. This particular arrangement of the speakers is what creates the surround sound effect. The total power output of the speakers is measured in watts and it indicates how loud the audio system can be.
- The subwoofer is a special type of speaker that is designed to play the bass audio frequencies of music, speech, and other sounds.
- Some receivers come in with additional built-in components such as radio tuner, Blu-ray, or DVD player. The optical drive usually supports a wide range of playable formats including CD, CD-R/RW, DVD, DVD-R, and DVD-RW.
What Home Theater System Features Do I Need To Know About?
Various RCA models of home theaters can come with a wide range of additional features. Here are some of the more common options:
- Remote Control: It allows you to control your home theater system without leaving the comfort of your couch or favorite chair.
- USB connector: You can connect your digital music player directly into your home audio via the USB port on the receiver.
- Wireless: A home theater system can come with either wired or wireless set of surround sound speakers and subwoofer. The system connects to the speakers via Bluetooth.
- HDMI ports: You can connect additional devices such as TV, cable box, and additional DVD players to your sound system via HDMI.
What Is Dolby Digital?
- Dolby Digital 5.1 is the existing standard for surround sound in movie theaters, TV broadcasting, and home theater systems.
- The name 5.1 surround sound describes the speaker configuration in a typical home theater setup. It consists of 5 speakers - 2 front, 2 rear/surround, and 1 front center, and 1 subwoofer.
- Each speaker or channel in this setup has a specific purpose. The front speakers deliver dialogue clearly and indicate onscreen positioning of sounds. The rear speakers "surround you as if you are right in the middle of the scene. The role of the subwoofer is to reproduce low bass frequencies that can be felt through vibration.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by RCA.