Vance & Hines Motorcycle Exhausts and Exhaust Systems
Vance & Hines produces performance products for the power-sports industry. If you are looking for an exhaust system manufactured by this company, you'll find that you may have many factors to take into consideration. There are a few key questions to keep in mind when buying an exhaust system.What exactly does an exhaust system do?
Exhaust systems serve some important functions on your bike. For example:
- They route combustible gases away. This helps to keep the gases away from riders and passengers.
- They help to muffle noise. A muffler can be attached to an engine in order to help make it quieter.
- They can help increase an engine's performance. Strategically bolting on a tube or pipe can actually help your bike to run and function better. The right exhaust can help you go faster.
There are some very legitimate reasons to replace an exhaust system. For example:
- Speed increase: A replacement system can help you to go faster.
- Fuel economy: Replacing a factory system may help you to save gas.
- Protect your ears: It depends on what you ride, but certain systems can really help to make your bike a lot quieter.
There are a few options available to choose from.
- Mufflers: You can get a muffler-only system, also known as a slip-on or bolt system, which will let you keep your factory pipes and only add a muffler. Slip-on systems like this are a simple fix.
- Full systems: This type replaces everything in the exhaust from the head to the back of your motorcycle. Full systems usually will require fuel-management changes to function properly. This can mean you may need a jet kit if you have a carbureted bike or a fuel controller if you own a fuel-injected bike. Though these systems may be a bit more complex, they can really improve your bike's performance.
There are a few other things to keep in mind before purchasing a product of this type.
- Material: Titanium and carbon fiber are both common material choices offered. Both are lightweight and easy to work with. There is also aluminum and stainless steel. Chromed steel is attractive and can last a long time.
- Configuration: In many cases, a factory four-into-two system will be converted to aftermarket as a four-into-one system. This helps fumes to be moved more quickly and less restrictively. Some engines work better with certain configurations. Understand what configuration your bike has before you choose a Vance & Hines system.