Table lamps are primarily designed to illuminate a room or add additional light when you need it. However, some table lamps are designed to either match or bring together your interior decor. As such, you want to choose a lamp that adds the right amount of lighting to your room and looks good sitting on your table.
What types of table lamps are there?
When it comes to table lamps, you have many types to choose from, including:
- Bedside: These lamps usually sit on small bedside tables in the bedroom. Some of these lamps come in pairs so that you have a matching set.
- Novelty: These types of lamps are designed to have a fun look and are often not used for task lighting. These lamps can have Edison bulbs, stained glass shades, or cartoon characters for kids.
- Desk: These table lamps are designed to shine light directly on any projects that you are working on. Many lights designed for desks have adjustable arms so that you can aim the light where you need it.
- Bankers: These lamps have a half cylinder glass over the bulb. Although the glass shade is traditionally green, you may be able to find other colors. These lamps force the light downwards to illuminate paper and music.
- Torchiere: This type of table lamp points the light upward into the room. The shade is open at the top.
What styles of table lamps are available?
There are several different styles of table lamps that you can choose from, including:
- Contemporary: These lamps are often made from glass or a shiny, polished metal. They may have unique shapes that mix well into the rest of your interior decor.
- Craftsman: Also known as a Mission Style table lamp, these lighting fixtures often have shades that have wide brims with a pyramid shape to them. The base may be made of metal while the shade is made from glass.
- Tiffany: These table lamps are known for their decorative stained glass shades. The base is usually made from a type of ornate metal, such as bronze.
- Industrial: Industrial-style table lamps are often made from rough materials such as cast iron pipes and unstained wood and uncovered, visible lights.
What should you consider before buying a table lamp?
There are several things you may want to consider before getting a table lamp:
- Function: If you want to use the table lamp for task lighting, you want to make sure it provides enough light to meet your needs.
- Materials: Table lamps can be made from many types of materials, including brass, copper, silver, stainless steel, wood, and glass.
- Room scale: If you are putting the table lamp in a larger room, you may need additional lighting.
- Use: Table lamps can be used with other lights to properly light up the space or one table lamp can be used on its own.